Monday, November 19, 2007

Sgt Major Kinlock


We have been treated wonderful by the Army since my brothers death. We have been reminded frequently since he died, that his sacrifice and ours are not forgotten.

One of the men who have made sure we do not forget that, is Sgt Major Kinlock. He met my brother, Cpl Dustin L. Kendall, when he was still at Fort Carson, before he went to Iraq two years ago.

Sgt Major Kinlock has called me, and my parents regularly every 6 months over the past almost two years. He has always said the same thing, "I just dont want you to forget that we have not forgotten."

His calls have always been appreciated, as a representative of the Army, and those who served with him.

This past weekend, I learned to appreciate him on a more personal level. He has family in Charleston, was visiting, and called last Friday to see if we could meet. I have to admit that I was little nervous, not sure how I would deal with it. I have missed Dustin so much lately, and was feeling a little on the verge of tears as it was.

We got to meet on Sunday afternoon. He and his family came to my house, sat down in my living room, and we visited for about an hour.

I learned how he met and knew my brother, both at Fort Carson and in Iraq. I learned that he was called after my brother was killed, and that he was at his side within a short time after he died. This was a comfort to me, as I have always struggled with his being alone and unmissed for the 24 hours between his death and our being notified our loss. I learned that he wasnt alone, and certainly not unmissed.

I was able to ask him some pointed questions, and get some comforting answers. He answered everything I asked him, even the "bummer" questions (I felt a little bad for this 13 year old son, and his 17 year old daughter). He was there to comfort me, and he did.

His coming was a precious gift, and one I wouldnt have thought I would have asked for outrightly. I am so glad he came.

Also, an interesting thought has occured to me since Dustin passed away. That we would've NEVER met some very important people to him had he not died. He influenced alot of people (i.e., friends in Arkansas we never met, people we waited on at Ruby Tuesday in Arkansas, guys he served with in Iraq), and had he lived we would have never heard how this boy changed their lives. What a blessing admidst the pain!

Of course, I wish my brother had not died. But, if he had to go I am so glad that he went with such dignity. And, that he spent the last little time that had had with people who care enough about him, and by extension us, to make sure he is not forgotten.

So, if you get a chance to see this, thank you Sgt Major Kinlock, for not forgetting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful man. What a blessing for him to be part of your brother's life and be able to comfort you. I do hope there are more of people like him on the Earth. That literally brought a tear to my eye.