We greeted the summer this past weekend with a trip to our favorite summer place, the water park.
The boys were so excited ..well, Ty was ..Canon just gets excited about whatever Ty is excited about :) Ty had vivid wonderful memories of that last two years of our pass-holding and many wonderfully refreshing trips during the hot summers of SC :)
Ty and I were breaking in the wave pool, just the two of us, when I considered how like a 4-year-old in the water we are with God sometimes.
He was wearing a life jacket, which gave him a new degree of independence. He was able to go to the "deep end", where he could bob and let the water do its thing. He loved it. He giggled like the precious little 4-year old boy he is, absolutely loving every second of it :)
I thought about how we are like Ty, bobbing independently through life. We are loving our freedom, and enjoying how "big" we feel. In truth though, we want mom close by. He would reach out his hand ..sometimes just to make sure I was there, or sometimes to use me as a resting place while I let him catch his breath. When he was ready, he would push off to experience it again.
I loved being there, though, as I imagine God does. I loved being able to be his resting place, or his safe haven. It thrilled me to be able to the there for him when he reached out and needed me. Because I know him I knew when he was getting panicked, or when he needed a break. He would fight the waves for a few seconds, then make sure I was close by. He would blindly reach out for me and I would be there. I was not inconvenienced or bothered at all, in fact I loved it.
Even though he felt invincible I knew what his limitations were, that the life jacket was doing the work and that he wasnt quite ready to be totally on his own. Sometimes, I am not sure he was aware that he was reaching for me or using me to catch his breath ..again, much like I am with God at times.
How great an experience this mom thing is, so many correlations between us and God's love for us.
I love learning this little lessons :)
I know that he will get to the point that he will push off permanently, and that's okay. I am sure that God has a whole other set of lesson for me when that happens. But, for now I am going to love that little latch on for dear life, and every little reach for help. :)
1 comment:
Such a clear picture you just painted....and I agree that these life lessons are amazing especially when God allows us to learn them through children's love. There are plenty of lessons out there to learn, some equally as important, but perhaps not as sweet. Then again, there probably is no other way to truly grasp His love for us as His children until we have some of our own. I still sit amazed at times by His awesome answer to prayers and fulfillment of our lives by giving us His little ones to raise. Another beautiful piece of the picture is the example you are to friends and other mother's who are just starting out on the road!
Post a Comment