Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Character over Convience

I am more a general idea person, rather than a detail person when it comes to remembering things I read or hear. But, on occasion I hear short little things that stick with me, word for word.

For some reason, when I heard this phrase it really stuck with me...Character over convenience. It is so applicable to the phase I find myself in right now - raising small godly men, ones 3 and 5.

Basically, raising godly men is not convenient. Building character is not a convenient thing.

I have heard in my own mind this phrase several times over the last few weeks, as I have had to stop doing productive things to instruct a 3 year old in listening, or a 5 year old in being kind to his brother. I have had to consider how much more important taking the time to do something that will reap eternal rewards, than is the things that seem the easiest at the time.

It has struck me strongly when I considered that Canon is about ready to stay in church with me. It took this challenge undertaken by one of my mom mentors, to realize that the only reason I hadnt already moved into that endeavor was the convenience of having him taken care of during church.

Ty has been in with us since he was about 3. That was by his choice, he heard there was singing and he wanted in on that. He has decided he still would rather stay there than go to Children's Church which he has the option to do. He plays and writes on his paper, but is present. He loves to hear the songs and is getting really good at dropping everything and praying when its time.

I have dreaded bring Canon into church since he is even busier than Ty. He is louder and moves more :) But, then I remember that phrase and ARGH! ...Character over Convenience :)

So, we tried it this week. We did good until the sermon and then convenience won out :) But, we will work on it.

Character over Convenience, Character over Convenience, Character ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true. I also think that sometimes I get fooled (whether by Satan, the world, or my own sinful nature) into viewing those teachable moments as inconveniences and irritations, and not what they really are: MY JOB! In fact, my main and most important job right now. Geez. I need to remember that next time a parenting opportunity "interrupts" my laundry folding:).

Anonymous said...

btw, Amanda said something similar to me about this very phenomenon at church on Sunday. And I just finished last week's chapter in Experiencing God on how Christ speaks through the church. So I note with interest that this is the second time I've heard these sentiments from sisters in Christ recently...

Brandi said...

this makes me think....so true and such a great concept to apply, although notice I didn't say easy to do.