Monday, January 7, 2008

Trying not to FREAK OUT!

So, we found out today, without any warning (save the week of Christmas when we found out Adrian's company was changing hands..but that was all we knew) that we are no longer covered by health insurance.

Awesome.

And, they wont honor our vacation time or personal time accrued. Thank goodness his former company let us cash out those hours.

This company is making a GREAT first impression, let me tell ya! I just cant believe they can do that without any warning. Two weeks ago I was stressed because I thought I had missed open enrollment for getting Ty put on our dental coverage. Now, we have no dental coverage.

We have been getting our monthly prescriptions FREE if they were generic, now ...not so much.

I am trying really hard not to stress.

We obviously cant afford private insurance. I cant BELIEVE how expensive that is!

So..I guess we will look into the Health Savings Account thing that Dave Ramsey suggests. Someone at church gave us a name and some specifics on that, so we will explore those possibilities.

What a way to start a week, huh?

Oh well...good things to come, think positive, NO ER visits ...no drs office visits.

God will provide. It will all work out. It will "all come out in the wash" as my MIL says :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Courtney, yikes!!
I tell you, though, the way BCBS treats us, I might as well not HAVE insurance. I'm probably just as stressed as you with all the time I have spent on the phone arguing with them lately! Insurance is JUST a MESS. We need some reform and soon.

hockeygirl said...

Wow. You should look into that because I'm pretty sure that is illegal. If a company has more than a certain amount of employees they HAVE to offer health insurance if the employees work 32 hours or more per week. It may be different in your state, but that seems really bad.

Anonymous said...

Sorry hockeygirl, that isn't always the case.

Courtney, I've lived without health insurance for the past 5 years. You will survive :) I would definitely look into Dave's health savings plan. In the meantime, put what was coming out of the paycheck for insurance in a savings account.

I have no clue if your state has a state funded children's insurance plan, but look into it. It's been a gift from God for my little one.

jennyc said...

Hey Court -

Don't know much about insurance and agree that it is way too complicated,but maybe this will help. (Huge comment to follow...)

My dad found a good deal on Zach’s medical insurance at www.einsurance.com. At this site you can find comparisons of all types of insurance and price quotes are listed. Zach’s cobra coverage was like $500 a month with Blue Cross / Blue Shield too, but he found very similar coverage from Blue Cross / Blue Shield at this site for $122 a month – medical and dental. It took over a month for the application to be approved and his cobra was about to expire, so he found temporary coverage with the same company for $59 a month and he was approved for the temporary coverage quickly, but limited to 6 months I think. Anyway, you can shop several different companies and multiple deductibles and various coverages on this web site…just be sure to read all the fine print on the exclusions because they do differ. The application is on line, but a representative of the company did call and interview him over the phone just to verify the application information. We got frequent updates on status of approval process and it worked well. Not sure he had any claims, but at least he was covered. Some of these policies even have Health Savings Account provisions.

Hope that might help - sorry for the huge comment (but I actually had this in an e-mail; because another friend was looking for private insurance)

Will say a prayer!

Courtney said...

Thanks to all of you! You guys are great! And, yeah to California (Emily) for having a law like that (I did check..no such law here..we are a little behind I guess!)

I will work on all of your suggestions..thanks for thinkin of me! :)