Monday, September 22, 2008

Gonna Cry.

One day. One short day of work..that was all we were away from finishing our two month long project of putting down these floors.

Adrian worked this weekend laying down the quarter round, and we had just left the kitchen and the hallway left to do. We were gonna leave the kitchen til the last because needed to seal around the fridge, in case (in the unlikely event) water got on the floor back there.

Adrian LITERALLY walked in the door from work, saying he was gonna finish that up and we would just have the hall to lay quarter round in and were DONE.

I had the blog entry in my head, hands poised to tap the "finished!" declaration.

Then, Canon decided to pick up a gallon jug of water from the pantry, carry it in the kitchen..and drop is somewhere in the region of the UNSEALED half of the kitchen floor.

Amazing how that much water can spread so fast, and get in all the little places that it really need not be, including all behind the fridge, along the wall where the floors werent sealed, nor covered in anyway ..which would have prevented a gallon's worth of water to seep under the entire kitchen floor.

Really, only about half the kitchen is ruined, but since its all connected the whole thing has to come up.

Including the $25 piece of transition that Adrian JUST laid yesterday.

In perspective, we didnt lose a home to Ike. And, we arent flooded under multiple feet of water. We are blessed.

...is what I will say once I stop crying.

Update:After the boys went to bed I had a brainstorm and tried to dry out the padding and under the flooring with some strategically placed hair dryers. It looked funny, and was very loud but I think we may have prevented having to pull up all the floors. There is a good 1/3 of it still pulled up but it could be worse. Oh, and I am much relieved because after sitting over night it looks like the pieces we did pull up, including the transition, seemed to dry well without warping.

We still have to figure out a way to get all the flooring back down that we pulled up, while the side of the kitchen that was sealed says sealed. We pulled the boards up out of sequence, trying to get the ones that seems the wettest first. We shall see.

Pray!

3 comments:

Greg said...

Oh, Courtney! I'm so so so so sorry! I would cry, too! You are right that you are so blessed in so many ways...but that is sometimes cold comfort in the face of such frustration. I'll be praying for you and your ongoing project!
I love you!

Ambrosia said...

Man, I'm so sorry! I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

oh. wow. WOW.
So sorry!!!
Bless you for having a good attitude!