Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Character Training Commences

I really thought that the deep stuff didnt start for a bit. I thought we would have til school age til we started talking about character qualities and really working on those lessons. I figured that right now was time to learn to listen, stay safe..etc.

I was only partly right.

I am feeling really profound today. I am really feeling a bit of clarity about how intensely important my job is as a christian mother. I am seeing myself as an all important cog in the system that is God's kingdom. In all humility, my role as the spiritual teacher to these children and my support role as my husbands partner as his being our spiritual leader is so important.

My eternal perspective has changed alot over the last few years. I see more clearly how God moves around us ...I have far more to learn, of course. But I feel like I can see where I fit in the whole picture ..I am a small, but so important part of God's plan.

Small, because God's plan is so much bigger than me. He wants ALL of the earth to bow down and worship Him. He wants every knee to bow, every tongue confess His name. He wants us all to share in His glory one day. I am such a small part of all and every.

But, my role isnt insignificant either.

The important part is how my influence on my little network is adding to that all and every. When I support my husband so that he is a powerful influence wherever he is, when I teach my children to make good choices and to love God and others, (not to mention those I come in contact with myself) I am indirectly affecting an infinite number of people, hopefully to the good of God's glory. Take this mom out of the picture, and my family's part of all and every is diminished.

All that to say, this little Steedly Christian Factory needs to kick it in high gear. If my kid can understand the concept of being a "Lamb of God" ..he can get a whole lot more. That is jsut that many more years of training to put in before they leave this house.

We are working on some character qualities that are appropriate for small people. That being patience (waiting quietly for something to happen) and faithfulness (doing the same right thing every time). We are also learning other words like defiance (doing the wrong thing purpose) and being dishonest (saying something happened that did not happen ..that one is a little mulitfaceted but it works for now).

My sister does a method of scripture memorization with her kids, that I want to get started over here. I want these kids to learn this stuff so that its on their hearts before they face the hard stuff, you know?

We also have been working on learning some big concepts by reading the Character Sketches, or the "Animal Book" as the kids call it. Its a book that we grew up with as a major teaching tool in the Kendall house. We learned all about loyalty, determination, courage, and so many other great lessons by learning about animals and the qualities they exhibit in nature. We learned many a life lesson from that big book! When mom and dad gave us all one for Christmas a couple of years ago, it was a great example of how God intends for such lessons to be passed on generation to generation.

Wow. I told you I was feeling profound :)

So, I am praying for all of us moms ..we have a big job! :)

2 comments:

Andrew Hill said...

Keep glorifying God! You guys rock!

Lacey said...

I am glad you were feeling profound. I needed to hear that today. Love you sista