Steedly School has been in session for one month ...whew, we made it.
I have to admit, the first few weeks were kinda rough. I have had to remind myself why this is worth it at times. Ty has taken some time to get adjusted to his new, less care-free life ...but we have had a much better week. It seems he has decided to cooperate with this whole school thing, and even has eluded to him actually liking it a few times the past few days :)
In his defense, he has had a bit of shock as we went from 0 to hard core homeschooling in minutes flat. The online school we are using has some seriously high standards for a kindergartner, but he is doing great education wise. We have learned alot, and as I am realizing and learning to work with the system we have chosen and he has decided it is not so bad, I am learning to really enjoy what we have here.
In the past four (almost five) weeks, we have learned ...
* The 23rd Psalm, as well as a few other appropriate verses for these specific little boys ;)
* The seven continents ...I learned that the Amazon was in South America, duh.
* That we have five senses, and what they all do ..and that God gave them to us to learn about him
* That Ty is reading at a 1st grade level ...he is a genius
* That even though he "doesnt like" math ..he is good enough at it to be half way through it already
* That he loves science ..yay!
* That Spain is in Europe, that they have "flamingo" dancing there, and they love red :)
* The Pledge of Allegiance ..Canon's favorite part is "under God"
* That many of the classic "fairy tales" have a similar story line, and most of them have princesses (and, as a side note ..are NOT the Disney version I grew up on!)
* That it is okay to be dressed up like a cowboy for school :)
Right now, we have math, language arts, phonics, handwriting, science, history, art, music, and physical education. We dont do all those every day, but we are still required to get in 6 hours a day. Its alot, but we are adjusting.
I am really enjoying watching both of these little boys learn about the world God created for us. I am really loving seeing Ty make connections, and learning to apply his new knowledge. I love being beside him as he figures out this stuff for himself ..like when he figured out by himself that he had been saying "three" wrong. We are learning the difference between "f" and "th" sounds ..a difference Ty had never heard before. He has always said "one, two, free", "I fink so!" and several other "tyisms" we will miss now that our smart little man has figured out this perspective-changing principle ;)




1 comment:
Good job, Court! Way to stick with it!
Post a Comment