Daddy, Ty and Canon all started school ...Daddy for nursing school (finally!) and the boys for preschool and kindergarten.
Daddy gets a spiffy uniform I will have to talk him into letting us take a picture of :) Poor guy, they make the nursing students wear all white scrubs and shoes. But, he looks cute ;)
Adrian started two years of full time nursing school, to complete in 2011 with an ADN. Two nurses in the same family should be fun :) He starts right off the bat doing clinicals at the nursing home ..he isnt real excited about that one. But, with Mommy Steed's help we should all get through it :)
After two years of doing part time pre-requisites online, he is happy to move onto this part even it is means the hardest work he has ever done in terms of school. He has been reading up on his clinical work, and it is coming back to me ...he doesnt know what he getting into :)
We didnt know until the week before classes started if I would have to work full-time or not. I was so happy that Adrian decided to work the late night shift (4-12a), so that he could do classes in the morning and keep working full-time. So, while I may feel like a single mom much of the time ...I do get to stay home with my babies :)
I will keep working part-time, to keep my license up a couple shift a month, at least til that gets to be too much. ....
Which means we get to start the boys in Steedly School :)
___
Ty and Canon started school the same day as daddy :) ..makes for a nice transition day.
For now, we have decided to homeschool the kiddos. We know that as time passes their needs may change, but for now we will start their early education right here at the kitchen table.
Ty being in preschool last year was a great starter for his concept of "school". He understands the idea of set learning time, and has even suggested some things to make our school day more like "my school." He has been most excited about being home and having his own school stuff at his house. :)
Canon will do more busy work, lots of playdough and coloring but he feels like he is doing school and that is what is important :) There is plenty of shapes, letters and bibles stories for him to learn too.
We are focusing on reading, writing, math and geography; along with increasing some of our bible knowledge.
After a week, I can say that though we have had some rough moments ...Ty has learned alot and I have learned to appreciate my mom's doing this for the last 25+ years :)
I have to admit, three days in I considered that this may not be for me :) Ty wasnt wanting to come to school and I took it personally ...silly me. I got some ideas and encouragement and we are back on the right track.
Ty has learned to blend the letters together that he already knew, write his numbers 1-7 so far, do some adding, can locate some of the continents and/or oceans....we have learned some stuff :)
So far, so good.
2 comments:
Well I'm inspired. Truly. I've actually be contemplating some early reading with the boys. (Nothing crazy mind you, but just a small amount of time specifically for sight word reading each day.) We aren't where you are at this point, but I want you to know that I'm encouraged by what you're doing. It's such a great example. I know all of your boys will do well. I'll say some special prayers for Adrian's nursing home rotation. Now that's a real man I have to say!
I have the My Baby Can Read series ..I thought I would pass it on to you, I am sure you would use it more than me.
And, quite a man ..yes :)
Post a Comment