Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Making Grown Men Cry

With the in-laws in town on an extended holiday visit, I have had a chance to work a few extra shifts to bolster the "Baby Budget" :)

Interestingly, I have had an influx of moments shared with sweet men coming to face with mortality ...either theirs or someone they love. It has made me feel most honored to be in a profession where I, #1 get to work as little or much as I need to, #2 get to share in such experiences with total strangers, #3 get to feel used by God to comfort his children, even in a small way.

In the past two weeks, I have had the honor to hold the hands of ...

...a man who, after having a brain tumor removed, wept over the idea of leaving his wife of 44 years, his children, grandchildren and great-children. I got to say a prayer with him, and quickly thereafter got to turn off the high blood pressure drip he was on (that was cool).

...a man who sat only a room or so down from where his wife passed away, only 6 months ago. While facing his own mortality, he cried for how much he missed her.

...a man who while on the road doing business, decided to pull over in Charleston and have a heart attack. He teared up when thinking of his wife, waiting anxiously far away from here for news of his condition.

...a son, grandson and husband of 55 years as they told their mama, grammy, and wife goodbye for the last time.


First, I am so aware of the long marriages represented in those men's tears. I am humbled that God let me be there in those moments, to comfort in a small way to listen and sometimes hold a hand or say a prayer. And, I am amazed that even though they let tears fall, they didnt seem any less strong or manly because of it.

Since my brothers' death, the verse in 2 Corinthians where Paul speaks of the "God of all Comfort" has become real in so many ways. I feel so blessed to have know the comfort of God, and also to have opportunity to give His comfort to others in those unique moments.

I mean, how many other situations can you think of where a full grown, 50-80 year old man will open his heart to you having known you less than 12 hours? Not at Publix, I can tell you that :)

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." 2 Cor. 1:3-5

2 comments:

Nancy Tucker said...

God obviously put you there when they needed someone the most. What a blessing.

Brandi said...

I am sitting here thinking that in as much as it's amazing and awesome that you're being God's hands, ears and heart to help do His will and comfort these strangers, it's just as awesome that you're still continuing in God's plan to encourage and comfort your Christian family as well. We're benefitting, just like your patients, when you share these examples. Again, this falls into the "more than we can think or imagine" category of all God can do. How awesome.