Friday, December 26, 2008

By our Love

I have been pondering a profound truth that I have experienced lately. I have already told you about my week last week with the rash of comments on my "physique" . It has really gotten me thinking about how different Christians are from the world around us.

I thought then, as with other comments that have been made like that, that my true friends would never talk to me this way...I know that. I know, because I know that the love we share is unique to our common bond in Christ.

John 13: 34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Thing is, that Christians are not perfect. No church is perfect, no friend or preacher is perfect. But God calls us to love. Its a love that stands out, it makes a difference ..it doesnt cut people down for fun, or hold on too a list of things you have done wrong, it doesnt sit around and talk about what mistakes people made on last night's shift/church service/service project, or point out other people's areas of weakness on a regular basis. It doesnt complain about everything there is to complain about, or look for things to gripe about.

The love that comes from Christ is one that stands out because we give it to people who dont deserve it, people we dont know, people who are unloving towards us, etc. Its the kind of love that moves us to bring food to people we have never met, or pray for those who we will never see in this lifetime. We forgive and forget things that are done to us, even when it doesnt make sense that we would. Our love sets us apart from the world ...

That is why I hate when I fall into traps like I did yesterday, when working on Christmas Day I had a nurse who was profoundly inconsiderate and left early (which we would have all liked to do) and left me with a large workload on the patient she was leaving me. It threw me into major stress, and I ended up not caring for any of my patients the way I would want to. I let it get to me, and griped quite effectively to the nurse who was helping me get my head above water. I left feeling awful.

I am supposed to be that light, and that "different" from them person. But, I am not perfect.

None of us are. Which, is why we need to feel, know and share the love that comes with Christ in our lives. It gives the patience, forgiveness, peace and ability to deal with frustrations with grace and mercy towards others. Seems like that should be in the Bible somewhere ;)

So, go love someone ...not cause its Christmas, but because you have Christ :)

1 comment:

Greg said...

For one thing, I'm sorry that you had to work on Christmas Day, much less endure other people's complete lack of consideration! You are such a centered person, and by that, I mean centered in Christ, and I'm so glad that you try not to let nonsense get to you. You're right, none of us are perfect, but the love that comes from Christ definitely stands out in this world!

Thanks for the thoughts.