Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hard Drive Update

Well, I feel like someone I loved has died ..

They tell me my pictures aren't recoverable.

After some serious grieving, which included some gut wrenching sobs, I have been able to collect some good news.

All the pictures I have put on Blogger since I started blogging are on Picasa Web ..yeah! That is about 900 pics ..that is good.

Between Picasa Web, the online photo printing places, and Bundle of Joys (the website we used before we blogged to share pics of the kids). I have some degree of representation of most of both the kids' lives...save about 7 months between Canon's birth and when we started blogging. This is, as you mommies can imagine, a HUGE deal.

But..in perspective, it could be worse..it could be the kids, and not their pictures I have lost.

There is still some hope, as Dana's brother is a computer whiz and is gonna take a look at it for me. So, we will wait with bated breath to hear about that one.

Meanwhile I am printing every picture I can find a file for.

So, the lesson to be learned, my friends ...is back up your pictures for goodness sake. The pics we had would've taken an hour or so to put on DVD's and be protected. DONT wait until you have time, or put it on your to do list..do it now. Before something happens, and it will..so protect those sweet memories!

Update: I have found some files on an old card, as well as some on my laptop I didnt remember were there. Those included two files of Canon's birth ..yeah! Also, I found some pictures of our Disney trip that hadnt remembered printing in an online lab. Yeah! I also found some files of our trip to Washington DC, when Canon was 2 months old.

I will be thrilled to my toes if we can find a way to save those files, but if I have to settle for what I have I am good. Now, to find a better way to secure our future memories :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were able to find some of your photos in other places! Ask family and friends, too, for their photos.

Christie said...

I too am really glad that you have found some of your pictures that were lost. I know exactly how you feel. This summer our external hard drive failed and we lost all of our pictures from about the last 6-7 years. We thankfully had all of our Julie pictures on Snapfish so we are able to get prints but other than that we don't have any from our past vacations, girl trips, holidays or anything else. I will definitely be putting our pictures on DVD from now on!

Brandi said...

First...I told Ben the awful story and said I want picture back up items for Christmas. That's all I want.
Next...I prayed.
Thirdly,...I empathized.
And now I'm so glad that you've found what you have and are still able to have some hope in Dana's brother, therefore the prayers will continue from me.
I would have cried and sobbed as well and just can hardly stand the thought. You're right that the boys are here which is obviously the most important...but I've always thought of pictures as precious memories that in a way are valuable family members too so I want you to keep finding them. And I'm so so glad you found Canon's birth pictures. Seriously...that right there is an answered prayer. O.k...let me go save some pictures and back up some files.
love you,
Brandi