Monday, April 28, 2008

DeSTRESS: Part I

So, I heard this fact that is recently floating around about how we are the "healthiest" people ever but we are "dying earlier than ever."

I am convinced that this has most to do with stress-induced ailments that we bring on ourselves by keeping the level of stress in our lives so out of control (heart disease, diabetes, even cancer has been linked to elevated stress levels!).

We dont take care of our bodies with the lack of a healthy diet, lack of proper rest, stressful jobs, stressful schedules, stressful expectations of ourselves and others, and the desire to appear that we juggle it all effortlessly.

We are also the most blessed people ever! We have more than any generation before us ..but we are too stressed to enjoy it.

I want to enjoy my blessings. I want to be able to relax when I need to. I want to be able to stop if my kids, my body, my marriage, my finances say I need to. I want to be free of the guilt that comes with doing so much that I do nothing well. I want peace.

Certainly true peace comes with the right relationship with God, this I am quite sure and intent on..and I think that even that starts at a most basic level: home, health and relationships with others.

Doing this study with the ladies at church, I am convinced of something: physical energy enables us to fulfill our spiritual purpose.

I am beginning to see my physical energy as a commodity requiring stewardship just like my body, my finances, my home, etc. And that is really putting a focus on what increases my energy, what depletes my energy, and what do I do with the supply of physical energy that I have?

This has been mulling in my mind now for several weeks, and that combined with thoughts from my bible class, some of my pondering friends and their blogs (you know who you are) and from focusing on new scriptures everyday...I have come to some conclusions.

First, STRESS drains my physical energy! Second, I need to DESTRESS my life as much as possible. Third, I need to be VERY careful with what I do with my limited resources of time/energy so that I am not so depleted that I cannot do what God wants me to do ..and/or enjoy what God has give me!

The solution to all this..simplify my life.


I know its hard when a post is super long so I will start another post with my thoughts..oh, and BTW, I feel the need to say that by writing all this down I am committing these things to heart and putting them into action. If you care to read it, thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your ponderings sis. I needed this so much this week. I really enjoyed our talk the other day, and i am trying to apply it all. Things just complicate!! So I am simplifying this week.
(Lace)