Monday, April 28, 2008

DeSTRESS: Part II

Okay, to continue my thought patterns..

First step to simplifying my life and DEstressing ..is to be aware of my priorities! I have been working on that list, and have brought it to this: my relationship with God (this is hugely incompassing, combining care of my spirit and body), my relationships with my family (husband/kids and mom/dad/siblings), raising godly children, my home ordered and peaceful, my finances ordered and in control, and my connection with my church family.

Second, I need to get rid of everything that hinders me from making those a priority. To put it simply, "Identify what’s most important to you. Eliminate everything else." (an article from Zen Habits)

This is HUGE! This applies to everything I do..eating, my schedule, my habits..everything.

Third, get rid of the STRESS that takes away the energy I need to make these things a priority!

This is a new thought for me. But one I have been working on and am feeling convinced of. Stress comes from so many areas including lack of control, guilt, unfair expectations of myself or others, the current status of my body. Stress is a BAD feeling, that can muddle our minds and be paralyzing.

This is my current focus.

I want identify what is making that tension in my chest take over my ability to succeed at those things that are important to me.

I have made it a constnat excercise of late to pay attention to that feeling. You know what it is. Its that tightness in your chest, that feeling of about to lose control of your emotions, that nagging feeling that things are not going the way you want them to.

When I realize I feel it, I stop. I close my eyes, I be very honest with myself and ask the question, "what is making me feel this way?"

I have noticed the answer can be any number of things. It can be physical: being tired, hungry, hormonal, dehydrated, having eaten the wrong foods when I did eat, lack of activity. It can be emotional: argument with husband, kids, friend, worry, anxiety. It can be our to do list: housework that needs to be done, errands you dont have time for, need to balance the budget or catch up the checkbook. So many things cause that feeling to come.

Identifying these areas that generally cause stress can be so helpful and ultimately can lead to a new way of thinking and managing our priorities.

For example. I know that my house being a mess causes me stress. I know that when the laundry is backed up I feel guilty, out of control and negative towards myself. Same with the budget. When I dont have my checkbook caught up I feel the same way. I also know that worrying about family causes stress.

I have come up with a simple solution for relieving this tension. I have found it applies to every situation that causes me stress.

I have five potential responses to my stress:

But before we get that far, Give it to God: ask Him to give us the wisdom, motivation, energy and ability to chose the right response to our stress.

Then,
1) Get rid of it
2) Get control over it
3) Get over it
4) Get it done
OR
5) If these arent possible solutions, then Give it to God for Good if its beyond our control, then give the stress to Him.


To apply these ...

The more you have, the more you have to clean up. The more toys the kids have the more they get out, the more you fight with them to clean up. The more closets full of stuff you have, the more closets are disorganized and cluttered...GET RID OF IT.

Laundry causes me stress, but its necessary so I cant get rid of it. I hate doing dishes, but its necessary so I cant get rid of it. So, I must GET CONTROL OF IT. I am working on doing this by incorporating simple routines into my life and getting organized with what I do have.

The dog causes me stress, but I have had to submit to my husband about not getting rid of him..so I have to GET OVER IT.

I needed to finish some online courses for maintaining my nursing license. It was causing me stress. It wasnt due til July, but I GOT IT DONE. One less thing to stress over. The "Just Do It" attitude is a great one!

I worry about the future, all the blessings going away, Adrian or the kids being sick and us not knowing it...I can only GIVE TO GOD.

Stress is hindering. Its exhausting. It takes energy that is supposed to be used for doing the things that God has planned for us to do.

Find what is causing it, and you will find where you are distracted. You will find what is shifting your focus away from your priorities.

So..changes are brewing. First, I am trying to be less stressed.

And the quest for simplicity continues!

3 comments:

Born Blonde said...

I've found the "get it done" works the best for me but I add a word "now." If I don't do it while I'm thinking of it, I will either forget about it all together or be stressed about it until I do. If I'm not in a position to do it then, I write it down (usually on my calendar) and then it is assigned to a 'due date' of sorts and I'm reminded to do it.

I think taking these lessons to heart is probably one of the best things you can do for your family. It encourages me to do better knowing there are others of us trying too.

Courtney said...

Yes! I agree totally. I have been doing that just now..I have decided that so much of my stress has to do with putting things I dont want to do off. Then it sits there and stresses me further..its not worth the energy wasted on it!

Thanks for your comment Sheila! So true..so true

Amy said...

Ok, so I literally have tears in my eyes as I read this (see, I have had so much going on that I just NOW was able to check back in on your posts!!!).

Even though I am a control freak (LOL), I have seemingly lost control of everything lately! I forget to pay bills, we are washing clothes as we need them, my budget is ALL off, my house is a mess, and I am forgetting things all of the time! I hate it. It isn't me (well, ok, the budget has never been under control...LOL). I have said lately it is time I slow things down, or they will be slowed down for me--in ways I don't like. But I still can't stop. I think 'school is almost out, I'll do better then...', but I know better. School will be replaced by something else. I guess I've just been on the go for so long, I don't know how to slow down and destress! How sad is that?

My goal is to stay home with Belle when she is 4 (turning 5). So in 2 years I need to have my busiess built up to where I can... Can't cut that out. But until I am 'there' I have to teach too... I can't seem to find a middle ground.

That 'tightness in your chest' you talked about...yep, have that all the time. What a great idea though to sit down and really focus on WHY it is there. When my house is a mess, I don't want to be here, much less cook in it... See the cycle? LOL.

Thanks again for your posts. I think I'll print this one out. It is truly something I MUST take time for. Love ya!